Need the equiv. of SYSINFO data under 4.2

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 10:51:41 AEST 1985

> I need the page buffer statistics bread and lread (buffer reads,
> logical reads) that are available from SV UNIX in the SYSINFO
> structure.

I'm not sure what you mean by ``page buffer statistics'', but all
the per-process resource usage statistics in 4.2BSD are declared
in the files <sys/resource.h>.  The paging statistics are kept in

	long	ru_minflt;		/* page reclaims */
	long	ru_majflt;		/* page faults */
and
	long	ru_nswap;		/* swaps */

The block I/O system statistics are kept in

	long	ru_inblock;		/* block input operations */
	long	ru_oublock;		/* block output operations */

There is no separate field for read-ahead cache hits; processes must
pay for their read-ahead blocks even if they never use them.

The resource usage stuff is obtained through the wait3() system call
(see man 2 wait).

If you are trying to analyze the buffer cache hit ratio, you can use
the (undocumented) vtrace() system call to enable the cache trace points,
if your kernel was compiled with -DTRACE.
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland