instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Mon Jul 29 07:12:27 AEST 1985

In article <82 at ucbcad.UUCP> faustus at ucbcad.UUCP (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:

>Oh sure, we can't have functions called "index" and "rindex". That's definitely
>not up to commercial standards -- we have to have them called "strchr" and
>"strrchr"... Fixing bugs is fine, but it's not usually necessary to make
>the stuff incompatible to make it work. *

"Index" is a poor name for a subroutine in the library for the same reason
that "test" is a poor name for a program in /bin.  Since it's easy to handle
old programs with either the -D switch of cc or with any reasonable editor,
what's the problem?  A lot of future users will be saved some nasty debugging.
The most it ever costs me is a makefile edit and a second make.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff