Strange behavior at boot time from swapon...

Dennis Olsson doss at diku.UUCP
Tue Jul 23 06:48:18 AEST 1985

In article <117 at amc.UUCP> eric at amc.UUCP (Eric McRae) writes:
>> Adding /dev/rra0b as swap device
>> No such device: \c

This is due to a little code error (bug?) in /usr/src/etc/swapon.c
(see the report in net.bugs.4bsd)

>With 4.2 on an 11/750, you (read I) can only swap on filesystems on
>the boot controller.  I remember something like this when I switched
>the root filesystem to a new controller.  I didn't change fstab except
>for the / entry.

Well, read fstab(5), and you'll notice, that you also have to enter
the names of your other swap devices, not only the root file system;
that's just another logical filesystem.
You will always have at least *one* swap device, due to configuration
of your kernel (look through your config file(s)).  And *this* swap
cannot be added, since it is already added as a swap device.
Therefore, if you try to add /dev/rra0b as a swap device, *and*
your config file(s) has the line:
	config vmunix root on ra0a swap on ra0b
/etc/swapon will say: No such device: /dev/ra0b.
(or - at least - should say so! and will after the bug-eater)
---------
Snail: Dennis Olsson, DIKU, Sigurdsgade 41, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark.
 UUCP: ..mcvax!diku!doss                           +45 1 83 62 57 ext. 13.