annoying machine dependencies

Craig Partridge craig at LOKI.ARPA
Sun Jul 14 06:47:38 AEST 1985

[Mild Flame]

    I've recently been getting a spate of 4.2 sources which are
unnecessarily VAX dependent.  Byte ordering dependencies, asm()'s
and minor sillyness like including "/sys/vax/XXX.h" instead
"/sys/machine/XXX.h".  (Before someone screams about this,
many of the .h files in /sys/vax are actually not very
different from those in /sys/sun on SUNs -- I can't claim
true knowledge for other 4.2 machines).

    Right now I know of at least 5 machines running 4.2
(Vaxen, Pyramids, SUNs, Integrated Solutions, Tektronix
workstations).  It would be nice if authors of 4.2 sources
would keep this in mind.

Craig Partridge
craig at bbn-loki (ARPA)
craig%loki.arpa at csnet-relay (CSNET)
{decvax,ihnp4,wjh12}!bbncca!craig (USENET)