inode number -> pathname? (4.2BSD)

William LeFebvre phil at RICE.ARPA
Tue Jul 16 09:35:15 AEST 1985

Many many people have now pointed out that chdir-ing directly to an
inode circumvents the security of scanning a path.  It hadn't occurred
to me at the time, but that is quite correct.  So, such a call would
have to be limited to the super-user.  I can see no other way around it.

Oh, and by the way, even "find" on just one partition is very slow.  It
just doesn't cut it when you're in a hurry.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil at Rice.arpa>