Pre-fetch

Jim Reno reno at bunker.UUCP
Wed Jul 10 00:03:49 AEST 1985

We ran into an interesting problem here that I haven't seen mentioned
anywhere previously.

The symptoms were that under certain circumstances the system would
hang due to a memory fault while in the kernel. The system we use
is 68000 based with a 4-segment memory management unit. While in
supervisor state the MMU is essentially disabled and the processor
has access to all of physical memory.

The kernel happens to relocate some parts of itself during initialization.
It turned out that a routine for a driver was being relocated to the
absolute end of physical memory, such that the last two bytes of
memory contained an RTS (return from subroutine). When this
instruction was executed the fault occurred because the 68K prefetches
2 to 4 bytes ahead of where it's executing. The prefetch was into
nonexistent memory, hence the external logic produced the fault.
This is a classic problem with pipelined systems.

The fix for the kernel was simple - just ensure a few bytes of unused
padding at the end of physical memory.

However, the problem exists for user-mode programs as well. Suppose
you have a shared text program where the code is exactly some multiple
of the basic block size used by the MMU (1k on our system). Further
suppose that your kernel allocates exactly that amount of memory.
If the processor prefetches, the MMU will fault (and the
program dump core) when the very last instruction is executed.
The MMU, of course, has no way of knowing that the processor would
never have actually used those bytes.

Non-shared text programs don't have the problem, since there is usually data
and/or stack above the code.

There are a number of solutions. The loader could always pad shared text
images by a few bytes. Perhaps a better solution is to have the exec
code in the kernel check to see if the shared text segment is exactly a
multiple of the MMU block size, and allocate an extra block.