3 questions

Cherry.Pasa at XEROX.ARPA Cherry.Pasa at XEROX.ARPA
Sat Jul 27 01:27:55 AEST 1985

I have had three things hanging me up on getting one of my systems on-line:
  System:  Heurikon MiniBox 68010 based (HK-68 CPU)
           Uniplus Unix System 5 With Reconfiguration Rights
	   Editor used = vi

1.  I would like to know what is wrong with this C Compiler.  I have two systems
    with a separate distribution tape for each and both consistantly give me the
    error when using the following syntax.  Even code right out of K&R will give
    this error.

    Error:Line nnn   Old form of initialization; use =

    Code:
    {
 nnn   	int i, j
 nnn	char c
 nnn	long foo
     }

     What is the compiler looking for?  Better yet, why, when I use the -O flag
     with cc do I still get these errors but, if I delete a.out and compile a
     second time, everything works fine?  I still need the -O flag.

     Something weird here.

2.   news2.10.2:  I retrieved the shar source files from net.sources and extracted
     all the files.  Now, the Uniplus software obviously is missing some necessary
     header files (/usr/include and/or /usr/include/sys) as I consistantly get
     errors of file not found.  (I get hundreds of errors based on my first
     problem, above)

     Has anybody sucessfully implemented news2.10.2 on a MiniBox and if so, could
     I somehow get,buy,..., a copy.  I'll gladly pay media charges, time, etc.  I
     just can not justify spending a month to get this feature operational.

3.   Since I do NOT have kernel sources, is there a relatively easy way to force
     a phone line down if a successful login has not occured in n seconds of time?
     I would like to limit login time to about 20 seconds and if failed, drop the
     line.  I would also like to set the number of tries to be =< 3 so that if a
     user can not login properly within 3 attempts and if he is still within the
     time constraints, the system will drop the line anyway.  An error message
     indicating the reason would be nice but not required.

Thank You in advance.