S5 make on 4.2

Lyle McElhaney lmc at denelcor.UUCP
Thu Jul 4 08:14:55 AEST 1985

I've ported system 5 make onto a 4.2bsd system. The mods that were required
up to this point all have to do with the new archive format that system 5
employs.

Unfortunately, there are problems. This new make does not seem to be able
to recognize its own built in rules, or even suffix rules explicitly gien
to it. The makefile:

	xyz:  xyz.o
		cc xyz.o -o xyz

gives back the error: Don't know how to make xyz.o. If I place the correct
suffix rule right in the makefile, it still doesn't know how.

Does this stroke a familiar cord to anyone? Has anyone else done this port?
I would appreciate hearing from them.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc