something nasty in data, 4.2BSD

Jim Hutchison hutch at sdcsvax.UUCP
Tue Jul 30 21:44:24 AEST 1985

<>
4.2BSD, Vax 11/780 and Sun(4.2 rel1.2)

I am currently writing a pair of routines to dump and restore
the data and bss of a program.  The reason?  To checkpoint this
rather long running fractal program (higher resolutions will take
upwards of a fortnight to run on a sun, and with suntools...reboot!).

At the onset I tried to copy from etext to sbrk(0).  This was fine
for reading it out, but writing it back in seems not to work.
I realize that something readonly is in there <or some such :-(>,
anybody know exactly what?  If I could just find out, then its
just an  X + sizeof(imposing twit).

Anyone know what it/they is/are, and how big?  Looks like 48 bytes,
but the would just be a hack.  I am trying to avoid the gnu emacs
method.

--
/*
	Jim Hutchison	UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch