Speeding up the 3B2...

Glen Smith gas at busch.UUCP
Thu Jul 18 22:07:43 AEST 1985

I read with interest the article about the COBOL problems on the 3b2.

Based on the testing we did here, I think that the real problem lies in the
fact that all the COBOL's available on the 3B series are interpretive; at
least it was when we were looking for COBOL compilers.  These compilers
actually take the source and generate some intermediate code that is then
interpreted by a resident runtime system.

On the other hand, there are some very good COBOL compilers available for the
IBM PC.  I assume the same quality is also available for the AT series.

Glen Smith			..!ihnp4!we53!busch!abstl!gas
Anheuser-Busch Companies	314/577-2686
One Busch Place, Bldg. 202-7
St. Louis, MO  63118