instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Jul 27 21:14:48 AEST 1985

> > * Don't flame me if the index/strchr difference isn't an example of NIH --
> >   I haven't used V5 much...
>
> I'd be suprised if you had, since V5 means "Version 5", which was a Bell
> Labs (not USG) Unix around 1974.  If you mean "System V", please say it
> that way -- they are not the same thing.

Furthermore, the index/strchr difference is probably not an example of NIH
in the way the original poster thought.  *Both* routines are products of
AT&T - the routine was called "index" in V7 and "strchr" in System III.  At
what point it was renamed, I dunno.  The S3 documentation comes with a
description of changes between S3 and some unspecified earlier version of
UNIX.  One of the changes was that "strcpyn" was renamed "strncpy".  This
predates V7, since it was called "strncpy" there as well.

	Guy Harris