bug using doublebox in tbl with ditroff

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at mcvax.UUCP
Mon Jul 15 11:45:25 AEST 1985

In article <1793 at aecom.UUCP> naftoli at aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
 > Does anybody know of a bug in ditroff which causes the box
 > produced by the doublebox option of tbl not to line up properly?
 > The boxes don't quite come into agreement at the edges.  I'm
 > working with a QMS 800 and QUICroff software.  I have contacted

No, it has nothing to do with ditroff. Tbl does a lot of work trying
to get the boxes to line up. It sets registers etc. to get things
lined up properly. But, since tbl has been written originally for the
C/A/T-4, all the adjustments are done for the characters on that
machine and if the characters on your output device don't have the
same characteristics as the one used on the C/A/T, the adjustments
will fail. The effect is stronger when using double lines, (so using
doublebox, || or =).

 > QMS and they seem to think (and I agree at first glance) that
 > ditroff is probably at fault.  Anyone who could give me a lead
 > would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

You should dive into tbl (or kick QMS in doing in) and make the
appropriate changes in tbl (or add a -T flag what I ended up doing).

	jaap (mcvax!jaap)