Orphaned Response

jad jad at hpfcla.UUCP
Wed Jul 31 11:00:00 AEST 1985

> /***** hpfclo:net.unix-wizar / im4u!jsq /  9:27 pm  Jul 24, 1985*/
>
> Though other companies are working on multiprocessor systems of the
> same general type as the Balance 8000 (i.e., multiprocessors with
> memory shared among all processors, not dual processors or networked
> single processors), Sequent appears to be the only one with an actual
> product so far.

	I speak to you today from an HP 9000 Series 500, with 3 CPUs,
	6 Meg of RAM, and 3 IOPs ... it is a heterogeneous multi-
	processor with shared memory and semaphores, and has been on
	the market for a couple of years now.  The OS is Bell SysV (with
	Berkeley enhancements), and is what I'd call "an actual product"
	(even though it's not pure 4.2BSD! ;-)

				  John A. Dilley,
ARPA:				terrapin at Purdue.EDU
UUCP:				{ihnp4}! hpfcla!jad