serial line IP - HELP!

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Jul 31 16:35:07 AEST 1985

>You also may be running out of CLIST space for TTY output [...]

Oh yeah... that reminds me: one of the other things I changed
involved that.  Rick's code moves all packets from the interface
queue to the tty output queue as soon as possible.  I thought it
was a better idea to convert mbufs to clists one packet at a time.
This is easy to do by using the line switch start routine.
(Rick---why didn't you do this in the first place?)

The only bad consequence is that the packet queue on the interface
builds up and you can get some fake collisions, but if your TCP
retransmit algorithm has been fixed the times quickly adjust and
that stops happening.*  (By the way, DON'T ignore the round trip
times for packets that are retransmitted; this causes the srtt
value to stay too low forever on really slow connections.)

I dredged up my 4.2 version of the driver, and anyone who wants it
is welcome to a copy.  I have a (probably incomplete) list of the
other things that need to be done to use my version of the code,
which is substantially different inside (the packet format is the
same though).

-----
*Well, OK, it happens a few times per connection, depending on
load, baud rate, MTU, and probably other factors.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland