Help! `ps' is going flakey on me!

Curtis Jackson rcj at burl.UUCP
Tue Jul 30 03:36:25 AEST 1985

In article <1056 at trwatf.UUCP> root at trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:

>`ps' is giving me messages like "no room in text table" and "ps: error
>reading ecmx from /dev/kmem"  and "error reading namelist." In single
>user mode it simply prints the banner for `ps' like so...
>
>"PID TT STAT  TIME COMMAND"

I had the "error reading namelist" message and got just the header, so
I poked through the code and found out that after it prints the header
it is looking for the file /etc/ps_data -- which was scrogged.  I just
removed the file on a whim and ps recreated it correctly next time
it was run (of course it took much longer).  Now I have modified
out /etc/rc to remove /etc/ps_data unconditionally on system startup
so it will be recreated; the problem has not recurred.

P.S.:  This is on Sys V, so your problem may be more involved.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj