mail encryption/decryption

Herb Chong [DCS] herbie at watdcsu.UUCP
Sat Jul 6 01:22:49 AEST 1985

In article <455 at bu-cs.UUCP> root at bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>It also keeps the records short (I
>think 45 chars by default) which is useful if you have to forward over
>some routes, especially BITNET spools, some of which will chop at 80
>(punch spools ya know.) I even moved it to our IBM3081 to aid using SMTP
>as a 'poor person's FTP' (yes we have a license...geeez!) tho there are
>limits to ascii->ebcdic conversions.

uuencoded files have problems in BITNET file transfers if you don't
send in PUNCH or PRINT format because trailing blanks are stripped and
need to be replaced before uudecodeing.  also, UREP allows each site to
define their own ASCII-EBCDIC translation tables (yes, there's more
than one valid translation).  both these problems have bitten me before
when sending data to other Unix systems via BITNET.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu at waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie at watdcs, herbie at watdcsu