inode number -> pathname? (4.2BSD)

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Fri Jul 12 17:22:29 AEST 1985

> >I am looking for a good way to generate the full path name of a directory,
> >given only its inode number (plus the device number of its filesystem).
> How about:
>
> 	find / -inum inode-number -print

Well, this is even slower than "ncheck", and will report *all* files that
have that inumber; remember, the problem was "translate a device/inumber
*pair* to the directory with that inumber *on that device*".

	Guy Harris

P.S. 4.xBSD is the only UNIX that documents "-inum" but I think it's been in
there since V7 and is thus in S3 and S5 as well.