Idle time logout mechanism (daemon)

RSanders at USGS2-MULTICS.ARPA RSanders at USGS2-MULTICS.ARPA
Thu Jul 18 17:37:53 AEST 1985

I've posted an updated version of "idlekill" to the ARPA side of
net.sources.  Idlekill works on 4.2 BSD VAXen and SUNs.  In our
community of ~180 scientists and technicians, no one has bothered to
defeat this "daemon".  Idlekill uses the idle times reported by "w",
which looks at the time of last input, indirectly, by doing a stat on
ttyXX for each logged-in user.

The only trouble we've had with it so far is the occasional Bourne shell
user who runs a long interactive-at-the-beginning program when the load
average is high.  Then we just "mv /etc/idlekill /etc/Idlekill" to turn
it off for a while.

-- Rex