National Semi announces 4.2 BSD :-)

David Elliott dce at hammer.UUCP
Thu Jul 18 02:57:36 AEST 1985

In article <399 at spar.UUCP> malcolm at spar.UUCP (Malcolm Slaney) writes:
>The following is being typed in on my Sun Workstation running 4.2BSD.  It
>is offered without comment.....
>
>Today's EE Times has the following story in today's issue:
>	National Offers 4.2 Unix on 32-Bit uP by Stan Baker
>
>	Santa Clara, CA - National Semiconductor Corp. is now
>	offering Genix 4.2, its port of the Berkeley 4.2 BSD Unix
>	operating system, for the company's 32000 32-bit microprocessor
>	line.
>
>	This is the first port of the Berkeley 4.2 version for a
>	microprocessor.  And for the first time, it brings local-area
>	networking on Unix to microprocessors.  The system is aimed at
>	designers of high-end engineering workstations

Tektronix announced the 6000 Series workstations 10 months ago. These
workstations run UTek, which is based on 4.2BSD with many of the
features of System V, and are based on the NSC 32000 microprocessor line.

Not only is National not the first company to port 4.2BSD to a micro,
they *probably* aren't even the first to port it to their own micro.

			David Elliott
			Graphics Workstations Division
			Tektronix, Inc.
			tektronix!tekecs!dce