.profile not being read from $HOME

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sun Jul 28 14:46:57 AEST 1985

> We run IN/ix, Interactive Systems' port of System III.  When a program
> exec()s /bin/sh with argument 0 set to -sh, .profile is being read from
> ./.profile instead of $HOME/.profile as documented in every Unix user's
> manual that I've looked at.  Is this a documentation problem or a bug?

It's a documentation problem.  "sh" is supposed to read .profile from the
current directory.  This doesn't cause a problem, because you aren't
supposed to run login shells (i.e., shells with argv[0] equal to "-sh")
unless you're in the user's home directory.

> Do other Unix systems have the same problem?  What is the correct behavior?

All other UNIX systems behave the same way.

	Guy Harris