instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases (absurdly long,sorry)

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Wed Jul 31 08:17:57 AEST 1985

In article <514 at bu-cs.UUCP> root at bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>And the back-up programs, what a joke, a complete and utter joke
>compared to dump/restore on 4.2 (or is file system backup and retrieval
>just not important to 'commercial' sites.) Follow the suggested backup
>procedures in the administrators manual, now try to recover a lost file
>(not file system, just one file.) Ooops, gotta know the inode number...

	Holy Cow! Is this really true! How revolting. I think you
could retrieve a backed-up file by name even back in V7 days!

	Now my two cents worth on the general subject. We have almost
never run into significant software related problems here, and we have
been running vanill BSD 4.x for about 2 years. The closest we came was
a flaky interaction between Massbus 2 and Massbus 0 which resulted in
a hung tape drive periodically. Our vendor fixed this almost immediately.
Other than this we have only had hardware problems - the perennial
tbuf parity fault bit(which I think System V is also subject to),
and the usual power failures and so on. seems like a stable system to
me.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen