Problems with automatic (\"answering machine\") mail responders

Gregory Dudek dudek at utai.UUCP
Tue Jul 9 11:00:06 AEST 1985

It's my experience that by having my automatic mail answerer check
1) that's the mail is addressed personally to me (not a mailing list),
2) that is hasn't replied before to the same person,
most problems with "answreing machine" responders can be solved, without
adding an exception list.  [Of course, the list used in 2), above,
could be used as an exception list as well.]
    I guess my point is that to avoid responding automatically
to mailing lists & such, a check to make sure the mail is directed
to you "personally" is probably better than an exception list; it
avoids problems when you forget (inevitably) to include all possible
mailing lists.
  Greg Dudek