monitoring ttys

Wayne Throop throopw at rtp47.UUCP
Mon Jul 22 11:22:05 AEST 1985

> > Problem: Users frequently have problems with various application
> > programs, and in order to help them I have to go find them, look
> > over their shoulder while they reproduce the problem.

> I have added some code to our tty handler to do this.  It allows
> a tty to either share or take over the i/o to/from another tty.
>               Jeff Elman

The solution I have used is to use pseudo-terminals and a
session-logging program.  In other words, you have the user with the
problem log his terminal session to your terminal.  No kernel mods
necessary, and I beleive that there are terminal session logging
programs available for 4.2 BSD (the one I use is for another OS
entirely.)  You can't take over the user's terminal session with this
scheme, but it is available "off the shelf" so to speak, and serves most
of the needs.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw