instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases (absurdly long)

Tim Smith tim at cithep.UucP
Sun Jul 28 13:17:16 AEST 1985

I disagree with your statement that fsdb is not really needed because of
fsck.  There are problems that fsck refuses to deal with, for example,
an unallocated root inode.  Fsdb is very handy in this case.  Also,
possible file size errors are reported by fsck, but nothing is done with
them.  Fsdb is very useful here.  You can look at the inode, figure out
what the size should be ( actually, I have a program to do this part... ),
and set the size in the inode.  And how about trashed superblocks?
Also, I have noticed that if an ordinary file overwrites a directory,
fsck tends to core dump on that filesystem.
--
					Tim Smith
				ihnp4!{wlbr!callan,cithep}!tim