L.sys help needed

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Sun Jul 28 15:02:47 AEST 1985

Argh, argh, argh!  I have a problem with an L.sys entry that I just can't
seem to beat.  Here's my problem:  the site I am logging in to has the
modem connected to a port switch, through which I go to get to my uucp host.
This part gives me no trouble.  However, when I get connected, the host is
at the wrong baud rate, so I need to send BREAK's to get the right baud rate.
Unfortunately, the port switch responds to two BREAK's in a row as a
request to disconnect from the host and prompt for a new one, and it seems
flaky about whether it really needs two and what the interval between them is.

When I dial up via "cu" and log in by hand, I have discovered that holding the
repeating "@" key down gets the right baud rate beautifully, because it is
seen as a BREAK until the correct rate is selected.  However, it turns out (I
guess) that the rep rate of my keyboard is important, because when I put a
string of @'s in the L.sys file, the !@#$% port switch takes it as a break
and prompts me for another host!  At that point uucp is hopelessly lost, since
the expect/response sequence can't branch or loop.

As an interim solution, I have been sitting on another tty whenever I need to
contact this site, and using echo, cat, and similar subterfuges to send
repeated @'s across the line while uucp is in an expect/response wait.
Needless to say, this is less than desireable.  The following are excerpts
from two L.sys lines that don't work.  Does anybody else have an idea of
how to attack this?  (P.S., it's V.0/Unisoft uucp, which means that it at
least understands funny escape characters.)  Line breaks below are not, of
course, in the real L.sys line.

  <phone no> "" BREAK\dBREAK ost? cu "" @@@\d\d\d\d@@@\d\d\d\d@@@
	ogin:-@@@\d\d\d\d@@@\d\d\d\d@@@\d\d\d\d@@@-ogin: <loginname>
  <phone no> "" BREAK\dBREAK ost? cu "" EOT
	ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: <loginname>
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff