VAXclusters and UN*X

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at ucbcad.UUCP
Thu Jun 6 11:00:07 AEST 1985

>From what I understand of VAXclusters, it would seem that instead of
multi-porting the devices, it would work just as well to have one host
run one device and then do a remote mount (promised in 4.4 BSD) onto
the rest of them. The high bandwidth between hosts would make this
pretty transparent. I guess it doesn't take as full advantage of the
clustering as it could, but I'm sure that if the disks were multi-ported
and writable by all the hosts then you would suffer a lot in bookeeking
overhead, if you could do it at all with UNIX.

	Wayne