With respect to "pr"

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 10:33:04 AEST 1985

In article <2091 at sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin at sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) writes:
>In article <322 at umcp-cs.UUCP> chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>Perhaps a better solution is our (well Fred's but...) ``file descriptor''
>>driver (similar to /dev/stdin in Eighth Edition Unix).  Just have your
>>program read /dev/fd0; no special casing required.

As I remember, /dev/stdin is a link to /dev/fd0 in the Eighth Edition.
Certainly, they should both exist.

>Couldn't this be done in other Unixes by using /dev/tty
>explicitly?

Only if stdin to the process in question is the terminal.  Often, it's
a pipe or some other such thing.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."