bsd4.2 stabs and parameters passed by reference

George Williams gww at aphasia.UUCP
Sat Jun 22 05:30:56 AEST 1985

As I understand the stabs that dbx deals with (which I don't since I can't
find any documentation), then a parameter declared as int would have a stab

    .stabs  "foo:p1",0xa0,0,4,8

(the numbers are irrelevant at the momment), now if this parameter is also
put in a register there is an additional stab

    .stabs  "foo:r1",0x24,0,4,11

Parameters that are passed by reference get a stab like

    .stabs  "foo:v1",0xa0,0,4,8

Our compiler is quite happy to put these params in registers too, does anyone
know whether there is some mixture of r&v (I can't find one in the dbx source)?
Is the best I can do

    .stabs  "foo:r13=*1",0x24,0,4,11

Will the two lines

    .stabs  "foo:r13=*1",0x24,0,4,11
    .stabs  "foo:v1",0xa0,0,4,8

cause confusion (since the same param is given different types)?

Also if anyone has any documentation on these stabs could they send it to me?

			    Thanks in advance,
				George Williams
				{decvax!frog, cit-vax}!aphasia!gww