using pseudo-ttys on BSD 4.2

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Thu Jun 13 08:22:03 AEST 1985

	I am beginning a developement project in which I would like to
use pseudo-ttys, but I have a few questions about them. First, how do
I make sure the pty I choose is not being used by someone else?
(especially if there are any system utilities that use them). Second,
are there any special pitfalls to be aware of, particularly any
significant differences from "real" ttys. How much of the terminal
operation must the master simulate? How can the master recieve ioctl's
from the slave(that is know what ioctl's the slave has performed)?
	Basically, what I want is to attach a process to the slave end
and have it think it is on a normal terminal, and have the master end
do some processing before actually sending the data to the real
terminal. Since I will be using the pty master as a filter to a real
terminal I will need the ioctl's and such to pass on where
appropriate. In particular, the back(slave) end will be running
curses.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen