RA81 driver problems on BSD4.2...

Lord Frith root at trwatf.UUCP
Wed Jun 5 02:39:49 AEST 1985

We had what appeared to be driver problems as well.  At first our Unix
4.2 / RA81 / RA60 combo seemed to work fine.  Then, gradually, the
system began crashing with mysterious hard errors being recorded on the
console.  The crashes became more and more frequent... once a week...
once a day... twice a day...  until it crashed one day and refused to
boot again (seems every copy of unix on the root fs was removed!  That
included vmunix genvmunix vmunix.old and vmunix.pre_chaos).

So was it a software problem?  A media flaw on the disk?

Nope... our UDA50 controller had an old rev number.  When DEC replaced
it with a "newer" version, the problem went away like magic.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root at SEISMO

Rambo: First Blood part III	The Quest for Jane Fonda