Can something like Script be done in System V?

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sun Jun 16 18:27:05 AEST 1985

> Well System V wizards, how do you do a front end program that has total
> terminal control even over a raw mode "application" like vi.
> Some programs don't like to be piped at, so they have to fooled somehow.

The general answer is, you can't do that in UNIX System V Release 2.
I suspect it would be easy enough with stream I/O; rumor has it that
stream I/O may be supported in the next release, which may be available
around the end of this year.  But this is just a rumor.

UNIX processes were not supposed to care whether their input was from a
terminal or not..