How many users on an 11/73?

Keith Packard keith at motel6.UUCP
Sun Jun 30 17:19:45 AEST 1985

In article <460 at wdl1.UUCP> kimery at wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) writes:
>> I'd like to find out how many users we can get on an 11/73.  Also,
>> does anybody know how many users you can run if you're using a non-Unix
>> operating system (like RSX or RSTS).  Thanks.
>> --
>
>users) These 24 users were logged in always, and we had better response
>time than an 11/70 with one or two users.  This was running RSTS (ugh!)
>with rsx and rt-11.

I would say that it all depends on your i/o systems.  I have an
11/73 with dlv11 serial interfaces and a 5.25 inch hard disk system
running through a xebec card.  The serial interfaces are
per-char interrupt on input and output.  9600 baud max speed before
the cpu saturates.  The xebec card has 1Mbit transfer rate, compared
to the ST506 5Mbit transfer rate and the SMD 18Mbit transfer rates
on real computers.

I wouldn't think of putting more than 2 users on a system like this.
The 11/73 is a great cpu but the i/o system takes more out of
the computer than the cpu puts back in if you aren't careful.
Oh, this is running 2.9 unix with only 1/2Meg of memory, not that
it ever swaps but...

keith packard
...!tektronix!reed!motel6!keith	($HOME sweet ~)

How many DEC repairmen does it take to install an 11/785 cpu?
-1.  It wrapped around and no-one bothered to check for overflow.

(sorry, I get news from an 11/785 ne 11/780 that has been
yo-yo'ing for 3 weeks...)