Rebooting 4.2BSD on a 780

Boyd Roberts boyd at basser.oz
Wed Jun 19 18:39:48 AEST 1985

>In article <11030 at brl-tgr.ARPA> droms at PURDUE.ARPA (Ralph E Droms) writes:
>>Is it possible to use /etc/reboot (4.2BSD) to cause a 780 to load a kernel
>>from a file other than /vmunix?

It's trivial.  Just link the new kernel to /vmunix.  Hack the source
to reboot (if you have it) or make reboot a shell script to do the link
and then call the real reboot.

Recently we've written BSD lookalike auto-reboot for our 32V kernel.
To boot a new kernel it's just:

# reboot /newunix

For a long time we've linked the current kernel to /unix so
as not to confuse stuff that digs into /unix's namelist.

Boyd Roberts

...!decvax!mulga!basser.oz!boyd
...!seismo!munnari!basser.oz!boyd		<- faster ->