Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww down 4.2BSD

Don E. Davis ded at aplvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 7 05:48:57 AEST 1985

Our new 4.2BSD is up and working, but seems to be awful slow, especially
with "ps" and "vi".   We had heard that 4.2 is slightly slower than 4.1
but what we've been experiencing is much more than "slightly".

We're running load control (with a threshold of 15) and it is working,
but still the system is extremely bogged down.  There is nothing in
our 4.1 experience which suggests a reason for this problem.

Our specs:
		VAX 11/780
		8 Meg of memory with 2 memory controllers
		5 DH boards
		2 DZ boards
		booted with original 4.2BSD tapes (i.e., we have
		not yet incorporated many bug fixes)

Does anyone out there have any bright ideas?  If this goes on for
another week, we'll accept non-bright ideas, too.  Thanks.
--

					Don Davis
					JHU/APL