With respect to "pr"

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Mon Jun 24 21:10:49 AEST 1985

In article <2091 at sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin at sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) writes:
>In article <322 at umcp-cs.UUCP> chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>Perhaps a better solution is our (well Fred's but...) ``file descriptor''
>>driver (similar to /dev/stdin in Eighth Edition Unix).  Just have your
>>program read /dev/fd0; no special casing required.
>
>Couldn't this be done in other Unixes by using /dev/tty
>explicitly?

Sheesh!  I thought this was net.unix-wizards!

Daniel, I sentence thee to 500 readings of "UNIX for Beginners -- Second Edition"
It's written by Brian Kernighan, and you *ought* to be able to find
it stored in /usr/doc or /usr/docs.  Failing that, look in Volume 2B
of the Programmers manual (It's right in the front)

		:-)

How often is stdin *not* /dev/tty?
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david at ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>
---	   or david%ukma.uucp at anl-mcs.arpa
---        Or even anlams!ukma!david at ucbvax.arpa
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"