source file interdependencies

Ernest Hua hua at cmu-cs-edu2.ARPA
Sun Jun 30 16:52:09 AEST 1985

Got another question for y'all wizards out there ...

Are there utilities (perhaps "make" improvements) that take into account
source file dependencies that sit in several places (some possibly in
libraries).  I have several programs that depend upon quite a few object
files and each of them reside in a separate directory that could be moved
at any time.  I tried placing the common subroutines in libraries, but I
could not figure out how to detect a revised library and recompile all
dependent programs.  It comes down to this:

    If I revise a particular source file, how do I systematically find
    all programs dependent upon the corresponding object file without
    resorting to some sledgehammer manual hack of sorts?

Some examples of "sledgehammer manual hacks":

    - A single cover-everything makefile.

    - Using "find" to search through all makefiles and to examine all
      "#includes".

All solutions are GREATLY APPRECIATED!