VAXclusters and UN*X

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sat Jun 1 04:14:10 AEST 1985

I believe (why I don't know, since I have no way of knowing) that VMS
doesn't use dual-porting for clusters either.

I've been told that the way the cluster controller works is that it
speaks DECnet and does VMS QIO level stuff with some protocol on top of
DECnet.  This makes quite a bit of sense to me . . . .  Anyway, if this
is true, then with DECnet support, it shouldn't be more than a couple
months' effort to hack up kernel stuff that translates UNIX file
requests to VMS QIOs, if one had all the documentation....  (Just use
one huge VMS file to store your disk in, right?)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland