AF_INET question, thanks.

Jordan K. Hubbard jordan at greipa.UUCP
Thu Jun 20 09:45:13 AEST 1985

My thanks to those who mailed me their answers about my INET socket
problem (esp Matt Crawford). I got caught by precedence ( = and < in the
accept statement) and didn't realize that addresses less that 1024 were
only bindable by the super-abuser.. Now, for one (last?) question..
When I want my server to die, I have it shutdown the accepting socket
and close it, but for some reason it still stays 'bound' for about 4 minutes
afterward.. (I.E. If I restart the server, it fails with 'Address already
in use'). This seems strange. Especially the way it 'fixes' itself in
time.. Does it 'time out'? (when no one's using it??). Any ideas?
--
			Jordan K. Hubbard
			@ Genstar Rental Electronics.

			"ack pfffft. gag. retch. barf.. ack"