Pascal compiler

Chuck Hedrick hedrick at topaz.ARPA
Fri Jun 28 02:53:55 AEST 1985

We are just beginning to use Unix for instruction.  Unfortunately,
I find that the Berkeley 4.2 compilers (on which both Sun and
Pyramid Fortran and Pascal are based, I assume) are incredibly
slow.  By incredibly I mean that Sun and Pyramid Pascal and Fortran
are 5 to 10 times slower i compile/link than VMS or TOPS-20,
allowing for the relative machine speeds.  Does anybody have
or know of public-domain, or moderate-priced Pascal or Fortran
compilers that generate code for the 68000, preferably under
4.2 (though we can probably do some porting)?  What do other folks
do about this problem?  Doe anybody know whether other Unix
systems, or possibly Apollo, have faster compilers?