anybody running multiple protocols on a single cable?

jmg jmg at cernvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 8 02:22:05 AEST 1985

In article <222 at thunder.UUCP> gamiddleton at thunder.UUCP (Guy Middleton) writes:
>Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>It it possible to run both (for instance) XNS and TCP/IP on a single
>ethernet?  How about DECNET as well?  Is anybody doing this?
>--
Perfectly possible. We have managed all of DECNET, TCP/IP, XNS and private
protocols, on a mixture of transceiver types, controllers, computers etc.

We have even added in ISO 8802/2 style packets (protocol ID field replaced
by length field).

One main worry is to avoid protocols which make widespread use of broadcast
and multicast packets (i.e. send lots at frequent intervals).