Unix on the Vax 8600

Ken Mandelberg km at emory.UUCP
Sun Jun 23 07:15:14 AEST 1985

Does anyone have any performance information about
running Unix (presumably Ultrix) on a Vax 8600?

Right now we run about 30 users each on two 780s runing BSD. Would
60 users run better on one 8600. The users are students and faculty
mostly in an edit/compile cycle, with a smaller number doing
nroff/troff and running some statistical packages.

On the surface, the 8600 would seem like a win. DEC rates it at
about 4 780s. However, this is presumably a VMS comparision, and
it is not clear to me if it still holds true for Unix.

Can you think of any circumstances where the two 780s would
outperform the 8600?

Ken Mandelberg
Emory University
Dept of Math and CS
Atlanta, Ga 30322

{akgua,sb1,gatech,decvax}!emory!km   USENET
km at emory                      CSNET
km.emory at csnet-relay          ARPANET