Boot problems w/ new kernal and uda50

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Fri Mar 22 14:30:42 AEST 1985

> 	We have 3 brand new ra81 disc drives that were just installed
> on our vax11/780 (4.2bsd) here at NCSU.  They were installed on uba0
> and the new kernal compiles just fine, HOWEVER, when we attempt to boot
> on it, we get the following messages:
> : hp(0,0)vmunix.new
> 176460+62512+38416 start 0x11a4
>
> 	?INT-STK INVLD
> 	- jamie evans - decvax!mcnc!ncsu!jle - off: (919) 737-2336

First off, you may not be getting what you think you're getting.  Your
message says you believe you're booting on the RA.  Your command line
says you're booting on an RP/RM/whatever.  Try booting ra(0,0)... if
that is what you really want.  4.2BSD should support that.

However, I have seen the INT-STK INVALID before.  I'll have to go back
and check, but it seems to me that it had to do with a corrupted boot
block.  (On 4.2BSD, this reads, corrupted 16 sectors.)  I'll go look it
up while you go try ra(0,0), then we'll meet back here and compare
notes.  In the meantime, also be sure you have the RA boot code in the
first 16 blocks of your RA disc.  Look in /sys/stand and /sys/mdec both.

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}