shell scripts as login shells

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 02:55:08 AEST 1985

> In article <503 at rlgvax.UUCP> guy at rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >Sorry, that *will* work on V7 (and 4.xBSD, and Sys3, and SysV) systems,
> Sorry, Guy, on our Perkin-Elmer 3210 running "edition7" (used to be "unix")
> with a few Berkleyisms (vi, more, 1K disk blocks) login *will not*
> execute a shell script...I sure wish it would....

Then you should yell at P-E; the code in the V7/S3/S5/4.xBSD/whatever "login"
uses "execlp" to run your login shell, which will execute shell scripts
(as long as the shell script has the execute bit set).  It's successfully
worked with the S5 and 4.2BSD "login"s.  Either P-E broke "execlp", or they
broke "login", or the permissions on your shell script are wrong, or the
shell script is broken.
--
	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy