DECNET (DDCMP) inside 4.2 BSD? (question only)

Kurt H. Haserodt kurt at wucs.UUCP
Thu Mar 21 09:01:21 AEST 1985

Has anybody implemented the proper address family under 4.2(3) BSD to
allow one to talk with other machines on DECNET?

I assume DECnet-Ultrix is such a thing.  Can anybody elaborate here?
Is it available to non-Ultrix sites?  If you buy an Ultrix source license
from DEC can you get the source to DECnet-Ultrix?

I know this has come up before, so there should be a lot of answers out
there.

I suppose our reason for wanting this is that we are about to embark on
installing a campus-wide network based (primarily) on DEC equipment.  Their
routers look attractive (are they?), but will only route DECnet packets
(is this true?).  So I'd want to send decnet packets from my Unix machine
to another Unix machine which can receive the decnet packets (I suppose a
pleasant side-effect is that I might also be able to talk to the VMS machines).

Another way that would accomplish what I want is to send ip packets using
decnet as a datalink layer.  This would not have the pleasant side-effect,
but I suppose if you're going to that trouble, it would not be much harder
to talk to other decnet machines (would it?).  I think TWG has (or will have)
a product that will do just this.

I guess mailing to me and allowing me to summerize would be best.
--

Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160