Is ULTRIX-11 really slow?

Sam Kimery sam at wdl1.UUCP
Fri May 3 14:46:06 AEST 1985

> A friend recently brought up ultrix-11 on a microPDP11 with
> an 11/73 processor.  He claims that with 2 users running the
> system is really slow.  DEC support told him that ultrix-11
> has NO BUFFERING on terminal I/O (that is, characters are
> all output as they are sent to the driver).  And that there
> is no buffering in the usual stdio routines.

Is the system running a combination of DZ and DH muxes?  DEC tech.
support claims that the two together will bring the 73 and the micro 11
to its knees.  I know for a fact that the 73 is a stiff processor.
I used to run on a 73 with 20 (my own mod. unsupported by DEC) users, and
had better response than the 70 that I am running on now.

				Sam