Kernel mods and RTIngres

Joe Kalash kalash at ucbcad.UUCP
Sat May 25 18:00:57 AEST 1985

]]] This is getting silly.... [[[

> This is such a standard technique for portable packages that I didn't
> think anyone would fail to understand...
> the support library is carefully designed to be achievable on a wide
> variety of systems.  For each target system, there is an implementation
> of the support library whose internal details are system-specific, but
> whose interface used by the application is invariant across all systems.

You are not listening very well. Let me say this slowly. Unix V6, V7,
Sys III, Sys V, and 4.1 do not have and useful IPC system for writing
a lock driver with any performance (I suppose you could write out
info to a file, and read it in, but the peformance would be prohibitive).

> Now, I'm not going to design a portable interface to file/record
> locking facilities for you;

	That I can certianly beleive.

> ...  Get to work!

	I do not now, nor have I ever worked for RTI.

			Joe Kalash
			kalash at berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash