Rand editor for 132 columns

wa371 wa371 at sdcc12.UUCP
Wed May 22 15:21:41 AEST 1985

Question posed to the net: How do I make the Rand editor work for 132 columns?
Replies:
::::::::::::::::::
From: noscvax!rhott at NSWC-OAS.ARPA

As I recall, it has been a couple of years, on the Rand e14 editor, the terminal
line width and screen heigth were defined in the terminal manipulation routines.
I beleive that there was a tty file which specified which routines to use
based on your TERM variable.  In these routines, the screensize is declared.

You may have to make a new entry, to obtain a greater line length, that is, if
you still want to allow 80 columns for the TERM type.  If you simply want to
increase the line length to 132, just hunt down the tty file, for your
particular terminal and change the width variable to 132. (that is if you have
the source).

hope i provided some help anyway!  In my mind, this is one drawback of
RAND, although I do like the editor and its capabilities.

Bob Hott	(Naval Surface Weapons Center, Dahlgren, VA)
MILNET:  rhott at nswc-g

::::::::::::::::
From: Terry West <noscvax!terry at rand-unix.ARPA>

In the file e.t.h, (1) change MAXWIDTH to 132; and (2) make sure
"#define WIDE" is set.  That should do it.

    Terry West

:::::::::::::::::
from Lyle McElhaney ...denelcor!lmc

Hello,

I'm probably grossly late with this, but I happen to love the Rand editor,
so....

The Rand editor is primarily the work of Dave Yost, formerly of Rand, and
now a UNIX consultant out of Hollywood. It was known early on as ned,
and most recently as E. It is the parent stock of Interactive's INed,
and when Dave was working for Woolongong Group, the editor you saw on
the Interdata version of UNIX, as well as Apple PIE (from Programma).

It is available from Rand (I got a copy of version 18 about 3 weeks ago).
Its public domain software (Rand has intentionally dropped its copyright)
and only a copying fee ($50, I believe) is charged. Contact Ed Guyton
(guyton at randvax) for more data.

I have made a bunch of additions to E that will appear (hopefully)
in the next release (things like help, more terminal drivers, power
typing mode, etc).

Any questions, let me know.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc

:::::::::::::::::::::
From: decvax!mogwai!paul at sdcsvax.sdcc6 (Paul H. Mauritz)

Let me throw my hat into the ring.  We run e17, the latest - I believe -
RAND editor.  It uses internal tables to tell about the terminal.  You
could change these internal tables, or you could use the -t option to
use termcap rather than the internal table.  Hope this helps.

Paul H. Mauritz - Digital Equipment Corporation

UUCP:   decvax!grendel!paul      ARPA:   grendel!paul at seismo.ARPA

end of replies.

Bernd <bear-nd>
(Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371 at nosc
            *** hooray for USENET ***