r/w access to fd from creat()

Hokey hokey at plus5.UUCP
Sun May 12 04:02:22 AEST 1985

It has been my experience that the file descriptor returned from a successful
invocation of creat() is writaable but not readable, regardless of the mode
specified to creat().

Does anybody know of a way to change this (kernel mods are unacceptable)?

One problem is that I occasionally need r/w access to a creat()ed fd which
must have a mode of 0444 for exclusive lock purposes.

I need this functionality for Unix implementations which do not have the 3
argument form of open().

Is the only solution to use temporary files, link()s, and chmod()s?
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492