Recover files from damaged Winchester disk?

James M. Boyle boyle at anl-mcs
Fri May 3 08:18:25 AEST 1985

We had what appears to be a crash on a large (704Mb formatted) Winchester
disk containing 4.2BSD Unix file systems.  The manufacturer is willing to
make an attempt to recover the data.  However, as I understand it, the
probability of his succeeding is fairly small, since the timing/servo
track seems to be damaged.

Does anyone know of any firms willing to undertake heroic measures to
recover data from Winchester disks?  Our backup was not so recent as
we would have liked, and we would be willing to pay a substantial amount
for a successful recovery.

Please reply directly to me, boyle at anl-mcs.arpa (...!berkeley!anlams!boyle)
as I am not on the unix-wizards list.  Thanks.

					Jim Boyle
					Math & Computer Science Div.
					Argonne Nat'l Lab