Sccs vs. Rcs

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Fri May 17 10:02:14 AEST 1985

In article <5715 at umcp-cs.UUCP>, chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> However, co -p should do what the original poster was asking about, right?

Not quite.  In my original posting I was complaining that it's nontrivial
to learn how to use rcs.  Therefore you want to keep the source file out
where it's easy to look at it.  (We're talking here about graduate students
who aren't system administrators ... not the type of people who would
already know what rcs is).  But if you also want to use rcs (or even
sccs) to keep track of versions, you have an extra copy on disk plus diff's
between versions.  High cost making the sources available.  More than doubling
the disk space used, not to mention backup tapes, etc.

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david at ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>
---	   or david%ukma.uucp at anl-mcs.arpa
---        Or even anlams!ukma!david at ucbvax.arpa
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"